Monday, February 22, 2010

Valentines Gifts









I REALLY don't like how commercialized all the holidays have become... I think I really realized it last year after just having Cannon and I had to run to Walgreen's in the middle of the night before Valentine's Day to get my boys their little Valentine's packages put together... Just to see that by the end of the next day they had eaten all the candy and the little knick-knacks were already broken and strewn all over... only to notice the same thing with Easter... So, after that I decided no more... I would make them meaningful things that they would use and enjoy.
So, this year this is what they got - I made these little "Car Cozies" that I saw on a blog called My Little Gems. They're perfect to throw in the church bag! And I made them each their own set of Bean Bags (only I used rice! I had a ton in food storage that I needed to use and I like the softer feel of the rice...). McKay's have the numbers and a plus sign, minus sign & equal sign - it's a fun way for us to practice his math! Carter who is just learning to spell his name of course got the "Carter" bean bags! Cannon got a cute little shirt that I made him that had an appliqued monster on it... However, he is asleep right now with the shirt on... I will have to post a picture of that later!
I have to admit that I was very happy when my boys showed more excitement and enjoyed these gifts better than what I got them last year. They were wondering what James got them for Valentines... because they had got him something! That's when we had to have the talk that Dad pays for everything that Mom makes!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YAH! I have been waiting for THIS post! I LOVE the car cozy books! I will be looking up the pattern on line and making them for Hunter and Parker! The bean bags are such a great idea! So glad you took the time to make these, so that I could be inspired to make something new for my crew!!!!!! Can't wait to see Canon's shirt!