Friday, February 5, 2010

The Process...






When Cannon was old enough to start on baby food he wouldn't take it... I tried every flavor that Gerber had to offer and he would just spit it at me!!! Literally! So, I decided to try and make my own... I started simple and have got more and more daring as the time has gone by! So far I haven't found anything that he won't take. I usually spend an afternoon every couple of weeks making his baby food. His favorites are sweet potato's, carrots & green beans. I just buy all of the vegetables fresh and steam or boil them. As he got older I added chicken, corn, beans, rice... I puree the base & add the extras and then I put the mixture in muffin pans to freeze - giving me individual helpings. (I did have to buy more muffin tins at the DI so that I could do large batches at a time) After the mixture is frozen I dip the bottom of the pans quickly in hot water to release the mixture - then I just put them in a freezer bag and store them in the freezer - taking a serving out as I need it. I was interested the other day to see if he still had his aversion to processed food - I had one bottle in the pantry that I thought I would try out of curiosity - just to walk away with Gerber's Turkey & Rice splattered all over my face and shirt - he still didn't care for it! But, in the meantime it has been something I have enjoyed doing for him. IF & WHEN we have another child I wouldn't even buy the baby food I would just start with my own!



2 comments:

mstokes said...

Great Idea! Getting back to the basics of food - without all of the other stuff that is added. I thought that you were making sweet potatoe muffins. Thanks for sharing - I'm excited to try it in a few months!

Keri said...

Move over Martha Stewart

Wow Erin! your MANY talents and
homemaking skills never cease
to amaze me! You always have the cutest crafts, yummiest recipes and such sound mothering advice on your blog. It's like chicken soup
for the bloggers soul:) Maybe someday we can be neighbors again
so you can teach me a few tricks...
You are an incredible Mother!