Tuesday, February 2, 2010

It's In Their Blood!

McKay came home from school yesterday and told me that today was Groundhogs day & that he was supposed to watch the news this morning to see if the groundhog saw his shadow... I told him that we didn't have the news (we don't have cable & haven't even tried for the basic channels...) but that we could check on the computer before he left for school.
So, today we had to be up bright and early to try for Redfish Lake camping spots again... Last week we totally struck out! Last week Becky was here and James and I were able to go down to the office and do it while she kept the kids. This week she is in Idaho - So, we packed up three kids and took them with us! Why do we have to go to the office... because it has faster Internet - & it truly does matter!
As I was getting the boys dressed and fed I kept telling them that we needed to keep moving because we had to leave to go get our Redfish Lake spots... they were excited and spent the morning talking about Redfish. We left the house a little after 7:00 a.m. We got to the office and I got the boys situated with their treat bags and little do dads that I had packed for them. We were successful!!! My family was able to get 5 spots this year!!! We camp right on the lake & after we didn't go last year due to Travis & Emily's accident it was especially important for us to go this year. I think it will be quite emotional for us as we congregate there together as the Gene Wall family!
So, when it was time to leave the office and I was herding the kids back up I told McKay that I thought we would be able to make the bus stop & I wouldn't have to drop him off at the school... (He LOVES to ride the bus). Carter almost died - he went into compete hysterics... He thought that when i had said "We are going to get our Redfish Lake spots" that that meant we were going to Redfish today.... the little man had a complete melt down and proceeded to cry the whole way home! I seriously felt soooo bad for him that I dished him up a root beer float as soon as we got home!
I didn't even think about the dang groundhog... had other things (Redfish) on my mind this morning and it seriously didn't cross my mind... But, when McKay was on the bus he remembered and asked the bus driver as he was getting off if it had seen it's shadow! Thank goodness for bus drivers who do have the news! So, when he got into class his teacher asked him if he had watched the news to find out about the groundhog... When this is what my child said "I didn't watch the news... we don't have the news. But, it really doesn't matter if the ground hog saw his shadow or not"! His teacher asked why and he responded "Because the only thing that mattered this morning was that we got our spots at Redfish Lake... not the groundhog!"
This is the same child who I had to take to the school a couple weeks ago to be tested - when in the middle of the test and out of no where he asked "Miss Renee have you ever been to Redfish Lake?" When she told him "No" he replied: "I feel sooo sorry for you"!
So, it would seem that it runs just as strong in their blood as it does in mine! McKay is already saving his money for the lodge & the only plans that we have set for the whole year right now is to be at Redfish Lake August 2nd!

1 comment:

Moalee said...

He's right who need the groundhog!
Seems he always brings bad news (6 more weeks of winter)!
Redfish is a good thing to have in your blood. I feel sorry for Miss Renee too, she doesn't know what she's missing.
It should be a really good party for all the Gene Wall family, we need it. We'll have a good 10 day party! We are so blessed. xoxox