Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Super Delux Easy Pillows

I had been looking all over for fabric to make Cannon some pillows for his bed... and wasn't finding anything I liked. Then I came across a tutorial at Lemon Tree Creations that showed you how to take a men's button up shirt & make it into darling pillows. ( I still haven't decided if you can use the word "darling" when you are referring to things for boys! But, I do!) I knew that I wanted an orange pillow... and I was really eyeing one of James' good shirts in his closet... But, I was lucky enough to find an orange plaid shirt at the DI. The last time I decided to use one of James' good shirts to make Carter a tie it ended up being Brett's shirt & not James'! Woops! Anyways, I bought both of the shirts at the DI for $3 each. I also bought decorative pillows there for $2 each to use as the inserts. It's a lot cheaper to do it that way than to pay for inserts. I did however have to come home & spray them down with Febreeze & Lysol & threw them in the dryer to dry them. So, two very cute pillows came to the grand total of $10! And it seriously only took me about 20 minutes to make them. I do have orders for a couple more... It seems as though McKay & Carter think that the pockets on the pillows are pretty dang cool!

Here's the tutorial: Men's shirt Pillow Covers

2 comments:

Rachel S. Smith said...

Awesome!!!! They turned out so cute! So impressed with your DI take on these! I hate buying pillow forms when you can use someones odds and ends! I might have to try this!!! You are super talented!

Moalee said...

I remember a summer that just bringing out the sewing machine to TRY to get you to sew would cause you all kinds of fits! Good job, they really did turn out cute. xoxo