Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Best Tomato Basil Soup

James & I are huge fans of the restaurant Zuppa's - it's a little soup & salad joint here in Salt Lake. One time while we were eating there he asked me if I could make their Tomato Basil Soup... So, what does a good wife do? She google's it! Sure enough there were plenty of recipes that claimed to be just like Zuppa's! So, after tweaking it a bit I think I have got it down pretty good! It's so good that I seriously make it once a week! And what's even better is that it is really quite simple. I am not a fan of tomato soup - but, I love this. It is really good as leftovers to! I will show you what the recipe called for & make notes where I tweaked it.

1 tsp olive oil
1/4 C apple juice
1/2 medium onion finely chopped (I do 1 whole medium onion)
2 cloves garlic minced (I do about 3/4 TBS give or take a little)
1/2 C diced red bell pepper (I do 1 full medium red pepper)
4 C chopped fresh or canned tomatoes (I have always used canned)
1 C vegetable stock (I use chicken broth)
1/3 C Orzo pasta (I use a heaping 1/2 C)
1/4 C chopped fresh basil
1 pint heavy cream
1/4 C butter

In soup pot heat oil and apple juice over medium heat. Saute onion, garlic & pepper 8-10 minutes. Stirring frequently until onion is soft but not brown. Add small amounts of apple juice if vegetables get a little dry. Remove from heat & add tomatoes & broth. Stir. Puree mixture in blender & return to pot. Add pasta and cook 9 minutes. Stir often. Add butter & cream & simmer for 15 minutes - do not boil & keep stirring. Add basil & serve immediately. I like to sprinkle a little grated Parmesan cheese & pepper on mine.

Serve alone or with a turkey, avocado & swiss croissant sandwich! That just happens to be my favorite thing to eat with it! Enjoy!


No comments: