Wednesday, January 19, 2011

So Blessed

Monday night Cannon was strapped up in his booster seat up to the bar. He turned to adjust himself and the lock gave that held the booster secure in the chair. He fell forehead first into the hard wood floor. I loved on him & and he was happy & running around shortly after. The next morning he was really struggling... grouchy, clingy, wouldn't eat, he just laid around all day & if he bumped his head he would just cry & cry... I had a hard time getting him to wake up from his nap & noticed that his pupils were dilated. I decided to take him in to get checked... sure that they would probably just look him over & send us home. But, the nurse noticed right away that his pupils weren't reacting to the light as they should. She ran to get the doctor & he told me to take him to Primary Children's right away & that they would call ahead for me.... That's officially when the world feels like it stops spinning...

We spent a very long evening at Primary Children's and after a thorough check they determined that he had a "mild traumatic brain injury". Medical terminology for a severe concussion. They let us take him home & said it could take a week for him to start feeling better... poor little man! I decided that your children look so much smaller and much more fragile when they are sitting on a hospital bed! So grateful that he is ok! Truly grateful that the Lord heard & answered my prayers. So, for the next week or so life is going to have to be still... I'm going to hold my baby all he wants.

I am so grateful for our family & friends. Our cell phones weren't ringing for some reason in the hospital... but, the messages & texts were coming through. They were so uplifting to James & I. So quickly so many people rallied around us... It was extremely difficult for James to be there. He had a brain tumor when he was young and had brain surgery after brain surgery there at Primary Children's. So, for him to see his little baby sitting there - where he once was - with a brain injury was a little much... the Turley Brother's rallied as they usually do & I know it meant so much to him! Thank you all for your love & support! We love you so much!

2 comments:

Rachel S. Smith said...

So thankful you had the instincts to recognize something wasn't right! Love that mothers intuition! I can only imagine what you would have been feeling! So thankful he is doing "okay" and that you have a Dr.s note to just sit around and love on your baby!

Sherelle said...

Oh my...that is so scary! I hope he is doing better!