Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Reason To Celebrate!


My Dad called one day and told me that I needed to come back to Idaho. I had only been here in Saint George for 2 weeks and it was so hard to be away with Travis still in the hospital. I had planned to be back there by myself this week - But, my Dad thought it was too long to wait. I needed to come then. So, the boys and I loaded up again and headed back to Idaho Falls! I am so glad that I didn't wait! The day that we got there Travis was given a day pass to leave the hospital! We were able to bring him to my parents house who live close to the hospital for the afternoon. My Dad drove the car around to the back yard and we were all waiting for him! We all just sat in amazement as we watched him and ate a celebratory watermelon (One of Travis's favorite summer treats). I just sat and stared at him - truly struggling to find words to even speak! I spent the week with him doing his morning routine. I would go and get him out of bed and eat breakfast with him and stay with him during his speech, physical and occupational therapies. It was such a special time that I got to spend with him. Often times Jason would join us and I really enjoyed the time that I got to spend with just my brothers. I've always thought that we were so different - but, as I have got to spend this time with them and through the summer it's scary how much we are alike! I can't even put into words how humbling it was watching Travis recapture his life. It's humbling to ponder the miracles that have happened to bring him back to us. The Lord truly has a special mission for him to fulfil in this life. I have never been as scared as I was on June 10 when I got the first call to come to Idaho Falls as fast as I could. I would rate it the worst day of my life. But, last Friday it came full circle as I left the hospital for the last time. As I walked out I wondered how many times I had gone in and out of those doors in the last 2 months... multiple times a day! But, that would be the last time because Travis was going home too! Friday August 7, 2009 more than 8 weeks from the accident Travis got to go home! He still has A LOT of recovering to do. Many weeks of therapy and many more hard times. But, I am convinced that he will continue to amaze us all! In fact, the doctors have even said there is a good chance that he will be teaching at the college again in January! He will make a full recovery with a new "magic leg" as McKay calls it! Thank you for all of your thoughts and prayers for my family. This has truly rocked us to the core... But, through this we have learned to love, appreciate, understand and depend on each other so much more. I have had a lot of people tell me that this has been a rough year for me... I have moved twice to different cities, had a baby, dealt with some family health issues and had Travis's accident... I can see that I could choose to think that is has been a rough year. However, I am choosing to look at it this way: At this time when so many people are without jobs I am grateful that my husband has one even if it has caused us to move twice, I had a baby and as crazy as that was with going back and forth to Idaho to have him he is healthy and strong and a blessing to me, My family as a whole is healthy and my brother... Well, my Brother is a miracle! It was truly a tragedy but he is alive and Emily is alive and we will get them through this. So, I am choosing to see the hand of the Lord in all of this and to be grateful for the blessings that I do have.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Erin, Love all your pics and posts.They made me laugh and tear up! Miss you and your little family.I treasure the time,tears and laughter we had together this summer.

♥Seri said...

Erin --So sorry to hear about your brother. I hope you all get to see continued improvement with time. If he was at EIRMC I'm thinking my brother Jared Lowry helped with his occupational therapy? What a fun idea to surprise him back at home!