Thursday, August 13, 2009

First Day Of School

Teacher gifts that I made with some cute flowers I got on Etsy!

The tag (another purchase from Etsy!) had cute little school buses on it!
McKay on his first day of Kindergarten
Waiting at the bus stop. Yes, I have sun glasses on for a reason! To hide the tears!
McKay and his little friend Parker waiting to get on the bus!



McKay with his bus driver Moe!
Carter Crying in the car the whole way home from the school! It was very traumatic for him!

Today was McKay's first day of school! A day that he has been looking forward to since Pre-school. He thought he got to ride the bus to pre-school... and was seriously disappointed when he didn't! So, he has been looking forward to the bus for 2 years! As we were waiting at the bus stop he kept saying "Mom, are you sure this is the right place... Because I really don't want you to drive me on my first day of school"! McKay was so excited and I was handling it o.k. but Carter.... Well, he had a total break down when McKay got on the bus and left! It was so sad as he just kept saying "I don't want McKay to go to school he is my best friend" over and over again! So, we got in the car and drove to the school to watch him meet his teacher and I thought that would help Carter. He was o.k. until it was time for McKay to go into the school and for us to leave that's when the break down happened again! McKay saw him crying and ran back to us to comfort him! I could tell that McKay was just so torn with what he should do. After a minute of the teacher waiting for him he said to me "Mom, I guess I don't need to go to school... I can stay with Carter"! That's when I lost it! I was so proud of him! He is always so true to Carter! I have tried to teach him that there is no one more important to him than his brother (other than his parents of course!). So, to see him in that moment and to know how long he had waited to be there - it was so sweet to see him choose his brother! I almost took him up on it because I wasn't ready for him to go either! But, I gave him a hug and told him how proud I was of him and sent him through the door! Carter continued to cry the whole way home - about 5 miles! I just keep looking at the clock wondering what it is exactly that he is doing in this moment! But, excited for him and proud of him more than anything!








3 comments:

Sherelle said...

So exciting...yet emotional! Mine start next week! You look great...and I can't believe how big your kids are getting! Hope all is well with your brother and he is healing well. I can't believe you moved...what a fun new adventure for you and your family! I am laughing because I have on that exact same shirt today...with a black tee under it too! Great minds think alike!

Jennifer Payne said...

That post made me cry, just because I had to go through it with Sadie and next year I'll have to with Connor. It is seriously such a hard adjustment. Please call me when you come next, we have so much to catch up on and plus I miss my friend! Love ya!!

Angie said...

Oh that is so sweet about Carter. I can't believe how big McKay looks now. It is so crazy how fast they grow up. So happy to see Travis made it home and that some joy is returning to their family. Just so very grateful...