Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Pinewood Derby Winner








I will tell you this... I DO NOT LIKE THE PINEWOOD DERBY!!! It stresses me out! James and McKay worked so hard on his car. McKay spent weeks drawing out what he wanted it to look like and there were multiple trips to the hobby store to find just the right paint color and decals. James felt so much pressure to make it just what McKay wanted it to be. Because James had lost all of his tools in the fire he was grateful when a gentleman that Jason (James' brother) knew offered to help them. He had a few special tricks! One included only running your car with three wheels!!! Yes, you should have seen the judges faces when McKay showed up the night of the derby with a car that only had three wheels! And to be completely honest I was sick to my stomach. Literally! I could not even watch the first race... I turned and closed my eyes! My friend Amber was standing next to me and had to offer emotional support! I wasn't into having to win... I was just worried about my little man! He had put so much heart into his car & I was really worried that the three wheel thing wouldn't work out and that he would feel stupid... But, it just so happened that he won every race! 

What I do want to remember about the night was how much support McKay had. He had friends and their families come to watch him. Grandma & Grandpa Turley & Brett came. The Wall's were calling from Idaho for updates! And Uncle Jason was on pins and needles for Mac & just may have been as excited as McKay was when he won! 

I am good with this being our first and only Pinewood Derby! But, with three little boys I'm sure that I won't be able to talk anyone into that! 

No comments: