Monday, October 11, 2010

Total Heartbreaker... With a Good Ending!

(Carter leaving... It's not a good picture... it was taken with a moments notice with my cell phone!)

My parents have been back east for the last 10 days on an east coast cruise with my Grandparents, Aunt's & Uncle. They flew back into SLC last night & came to Logan to bring Curtis & Susan home. I didn't tell the boys they were coming. I wanted to surprise them. So, we dropped McKay off at school this morning & Carter, Cannon & I headed over to Curtis & Susan's. On the way there Carter asked me if we could go to Moe's (that's what my boys call my Mom) house today... I told them that they were still on their trip & that they weren't home... So, he asked if we could go where ever they were! When we walked up to the house & my Dad answered the door he was beyond ecstatic! Right away he started asking if he could go home with them. But, my Dad has a Elk hunt that he is going on this week & my Mom works Tuesday & Wednesday every week. So, I told him that it would have to be another time... But, he kept asking, and asking... So, we loaded up and went to surprise McKay - he almost tackled my Dad in the hall at school when he came out of his classroom & Grandpa was standing there! We headed up to the house because James had bought a new snow blower & we were sending our old one back for Travis to have. Everything was well until it was time for Grandma & Grandpa to go... I knew that such a short visit was going to be hard on the boys. But, Carter was so sad... My Dad tried to love him better & promised him that he would come and get him in a week... It didn't help... I finally had to peel Carter off of my Dad - literally kicking, screaming & crying. As I pulled him away I saw my Mom start to cry & my Dad had to turn and walk away... Carter was crying so hard he couldn't even breath & it totally broke my heart & I started to cry to! We were all just a big mess. I had been in with Carter trying to console him for almost 30 minutes... & I was getting NO where when I heard the front door open... When we came out of Carter's room to see who it was my parents had come back. I told them they were only making it worse! But, they said that it had broke their hearts to see Carter like that & they had come back to get him! My Mom said they both had cried all the way down the hill! Carter jumped in their arms - his face was soooo swollen from crying! So, we quickly packed his bags... Winter clothes & all because it looks like he might be going elk hunting with Grandpa for a couple days! After my Parents & Carter left I just started to cry again... I am so grateful for my Parents... for the love that they have for my little family. For the love that they have for Carter & how in tuned they were to his feelings. Thank you for coming back... It meant more to me than you will ever know! And I can guarantee that Carter will remember it for a very long time! Enjoy your week with my little man!

1 comment:

Rachel S. Smith said...

What?!!!! Does this mean we won't be seeing him anytime soon?! Someone is going to be mad! Haha. So sweet that your parents came back. Now you are going to be a mess for the week:). I know he will have so much fun!