Saturday, October 9, 2010

Peach Salsa


Anytime I need something here in Logan I call my Uncle Curtis. He has lived here for a long time and knows where to find anything I might need. So, one morning I called him on the hunt for tomatoes. As usual he gave me the exact location of a couple good fruit stands in the valley. But, he also told me that if I was making salsa that I needed to try something new... That I needed to half my tomatoes and put the other half peaches... Peach Salsa! I knew I had to try it! So, I picked up a bushel of tomatoes & peaches & it is truly amazing!
Here's the recipe:
6 cups tomatoes diced
6 cups peaches diced
3 green peppers diced
3 red peppers diced
2 long green peppers diced
3 onions diced
2 jalapeno peppers diced
3 TBS salt
1 TB pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup vinegar
You can make it as chunky or as fine as you would like it. We like it chunky. I do use a food processor to cut my veggies. Just be careful to not get it too fine or it will be salsa soup. Simmer the above ingredients for about 2 hours uncovered. You can add more peppers if you want it spicier. After 2 hours add: 1/2 cup dried onions for 15 more minutes. Then seal & process for 20 minutes.
This recipe is amazing as just plain salsa to! It's James's favorite! You would just substitute the 6 cups peaches for 6 more cups of tomatoes. Thanks Brooke for the recipe! It has become a Turley family favorite!

No comments: