Saturday, August 28, 2010

First Grade

The Little Man...
The Hair...
The Shoes...


The Back Pack...
First Grade... I think those two words arise a lot of emotions to Mothers! And I will admit my emotions were on overdrive for the whole week leading up to it! It's the first time I have ever truly considered homeschooling! Well, maybe not - but close!

School started on Thursday & on Monday I told McKay we would do whatever he wanted for his last three days of summer. We went to the pool one day, we went to the zoo, to Wendy's for lunch, to the park & up Smithfield Canyon for an afternoon to play in the creeks.

He was very particular about a few things for school: the shoes, the backpack & the hair! He knew just what he wanted! We did have to go to 6 different stores to find the backpack! He wanted one that just had one strap that went across your shoulders. We only found one! We found pink ones - but, only one boyish one & it was $40! I almost died! $40 for a kids backpack! But, the thing is that McKay never asks for anything... So, for him to ask for it was a big deal! I wanted to see how bad he wanted it & asked him if he wanted it bad enough to use some of his own money... He said he was willing to pay for the whole thing... but, I wasn't going to let that happen. So, he paid $15 towards the backpack!

The bus picks up at 8:13 in the morning & school doesn't start until 9:05... I didn't want him on the bus that long and that just put him away from home to long! So, James takes him to school & he rides the bus home.

When he left the first morning I turned to Carter and said "what do we do now" & he replied "We need to get a really big cup of milk and eat a whole lot of Oreo cookies, that will make us feel better"! So, we did! He was able to negotiate a trip to the Dollar Store to! And I admit that I did plan the trip to the Dollar Store around recess... & yes I did pull up to the side of the school & spied on McKay as he played!

I did ok until Carter & Cannon were both down for naps... then I lost it! That was the time I always read to McKay or played a game with him... it was "our" time... & I didn't know what to do with myself! I lost track of time and heard the bus... I looked out the window and waited & waited & waited for McKay to get off... & he didn't get off! I ran down to the other bus stop by his friend Lily's house... & no one was there... I panicked and called the school in a total mess! Only to have the sweet secretary inform me that the elementary hadn't released yet & that it was a bus for one of the other schools - I looked at the clock & sure enough he still had 5 minutes left before school was out! She was really sweet and offered to walk down and double check to make sure McKay was still in his class! I told her that wouldn't be necessary & thanked her for her kindness! And about 20 minutes later he came running off the bus! It took me awhile before I called & admitted to James what I did!

After he got home and told me all about his day he asked "How was your day today Mom - did you do o.k. without me"? What do you say to that? You lie that's what you do! I told him I missed him... but, I did o.k. - I just left out the part of me spying on him & the breakdown with the school secretary! To much for a 7-year-old to handle! He had a fabulous day with Super Nachos for lunch & 3 recesses & that is all that matters!


1 comment:

mstokes said...

You're the cutest mom ever!