Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Great Grandma Turley









We are so lucky to live close to James' Grandma Turley. My boys absolutely adore her & love to visit any chance we get. James' office is less than 10 minutes away from her house & he is able to run her to doctor appts & run any little errands that she might need. He loves the time that he gets to spend with her. I try to go and help as much as possible... With three boys I always feel like I take a circus with me! But, she loves the circus! A couple months ago I had Carter & Cannon with me while I was taking her grocery shopping. We were in the produce section & we were looking at the packaged carrots when suddenly she screamed & jumped! When she turned to look at me she was soaking wet! When I looked past her Carter was standing a couple feet away with the watering hose! He was trying his best to put it away without getting noticed!!! I was mortified! And all she could do was laugh!

As soon as we arrive at her house she has the toys waiting for the boys. The boys take turns sitting with her and talking about what ever might be going on in their lives with her. She truly cares & truly wants to know! Before we leave she has to feed us something! It drives her absolutely crazy when we pick something up for her & won't let her pay us back! So, she called a couple weeks ago & informed me that she was ordering the Ensign & the Friend magazine for our family (I hadn't got them ordered since we had moved) & that I was NOT to tell James about it before they came!

I have all of her voice mails saved on my phone because I cherish them. About a month ago she cancelled her unlimited long distance! She decided she was paying to much for it! So, now she just pays for the minutes. I laugh now because her messages have got much shorter! She tries to get it all in in the free minute that she has!

A few years ago she started to go blind. We have watched as her life has changed. She has embraced it with such grace & dignity. Not allowing it to control her, but making the best of it in any way she can. She has been a widow for more than 40 years. Losing her husband at an early age & never re-marrying. She continued to raise 6 children on her own. Sending all 5 boys on missions. She works at the temple 2 days a week waking up at 3:30 a.m. to be there on time. She is truly the epitome of strength!

Last week was her Birthday and we were grateful to be able to take her dinner & spend the evening with her. We are truly lucky to have her apart of our lives & we cherish her so much!

1 comment:

Moalee said...

What special pictures and memories. Lucky little boys to know (really know) so many generations of Grandparents.