Monday, September 14, 2009

Is Bribery Bad?

McKay has been in Kindergarten for over a month. His teacher has a color change system that she uses for their behavior. They start out the day on green - if they are well behaved & they stay on green all day they get a sticker at the end of the day. If they act out then they have to change their card to yellow and don't get a sticker. They can earn their green status back - but don't get the sticker. If they really act out they change their card to red and the teacher calls the parent. Sooooo, my Son as of last week had got a color change every day but three days! He would come home and say "Mom, I only went to yellow - I didn't go to Red"! So, when I went to his Testing with him I asked the teacher if I should be concerned! She told me that he and the little boy that he sat next to weren't a good combination and she was going to move them. So, when he came home last Monday I had high hopes that he would have a sticker! But, he had another color change! I asked him what was going on and he said "Mom, I try soooo hard to hold still - But, by then end of the day I can't take it anymore and I just start moving crazy"! James told me that he was just a boy and that I needed to leave him alone and it would work itself out... But I couldn't! So, in came the bribery!!! I told him last Wednesday morning that if he went Wednesday, Thursday and Friday without getting a color change that we could go to the store and he could pick out his favorite ice cream Friday night! We even said a extra prayer for him before he headed out the door!!! (I was desperate!) So, he went to school and when he got home he was soooo proud because he hadn't got a color change! But, the funny part is that he had forgot to get his sticker and had got out on the bus when he remembered! He made the bus driver wait while he ran back into the school and he said he told his teacher "I forgot to get my sticker and you have to give me one or I am afraid that I will get home and my Mom won't believe me & then I won't get ice cream"! (Poor little guy)! So, instead of a sticker she put a smiley face on his hand with a magic marker to make sure it didn't get lost! So, he went the next two days without color changes! It even got to the point that Carter was cheering him on - he realized that if McKay got ice cream that meant he had high chances of getting it to! So, Friday came and we celebrated with sherbet ice cream!


So, this morning I asked him if he wanted to make another deal! I told him that if he could go the whole week without a color change that we could go to McDonald's for an ice cream cone and to play on the toys on Friday night! I never take my kids to McDonald's so he was ecstatic! But, all day today I have been wondering if I am putting too much pressure on him... Or, am I doing a good thing by giving him something to work towards and accomplish??? Thoughts anyone?

*** UPDATE*** He didn't get a color change again today!

4 comments:

Keri said...

If it makes you feel any better
I bribed Sarah with ice cream
this weekend if she would get up
for school on time each day:)

Jimmy, Cassie and Family said...

I had to buy new boots for Tanner if he would go potty. You do what you have to do. (by the way, it worked! Finally!)

Miranda said...

bribery is part of life. we just call them consequences :) they can overly good too :)

Kimberly Davis said...

The whole color card flipping is a very sensative subject in this house!!! Tye had a teacher last year that he would come home with flipped cards all the time. I finally called the teacher and found out why. He wasn't standing still in line, he farted during quiet time, he raced a boy to the bathroom....I finally just realized this teacher obviously hadn't been around young boys. I soon realized...it was the teacher!! I understand Tye has to use manners and be respectful but please....needless to say the school didn't renew her contract! I know Mc Cay I would to see him in class and the funny things he says and does! He's James son...do expect anything less?? J/K - I meant that with lots of love!!!!