Sunday, April 19, 2009

What A Good Day





So, today was Sunday... and James and I both woke up sick... I have been battling a cold all week and it finally caught up to James too... So, we called in sick for teaching primary and stayed home. But, we still had two little boys who had enough energy to take on the world! So, I kept them busy with play dough, a little painting project, I read them a Magic Tree House book, we ALL took a nap and they spent hours outside playing. I have to tell you that today was one of the best days our little family has had together in a long time... No where to be - couldn't really do anything because it was still Sunday... Just time for us to be together! I had so many moments today... and as I was rocking Cannon tonight and could hear the boys laughing together in the bathtub I really started to think about the day. Why was today different than any other day? What made it so good and so special? Because it wasn't just me, James commented that today had been a really good day too and as McKay was getting into bed tonight he thanked me for the "Best day ever"... It's not an option for us to skip church every Sunday and stay home together... So, what was it? I decided that it was a couple things - It was that James and I stopped and truly took time for our boys - We played play dough, we helped them and encouraged them while they painted, I cuddled in bed with them and took the time to read them a long book, we went on a walk together as a family... I try hard everyday to spend time with each one of my children. But, I realized today that as I spend time with them in my mind I am always thinking of what else needs to be done and may rush things along a little bit. I think that they can sense this - and today they did not feel the threat of that. Today they felt our desire to be with them. I know that I cannot do this everyday - Tomorrow morning we will get up and McKay will need to be to school, it's laundry day and I need to go grocery shopping... BUT, the time that we are together I truly need to focus on being with them and living in that moment. I need to stop worrying about getting everything else done and focus on spending more quality time with them - I need to stop more often and sit down with them instead of trying to find things to keep them busy so that I can get done what I want to. My cousin once told me she couldn't wait until I had more than one child because then maybe my house would be a little messy... In my mind I have always thought that I couldn't let that happen... But I am learning when it comes down to it - it really doesn't matter how clean my house is... It matters that I was their Mother.

3 comments:

Sherelle said...

Your boys are growing up so fast! I love to check your blog and see pics of them! I hope you're all doing well in Utah!

Moalee said...

Yes and in the blink of an eye the'll be gone and have babies of their own! Take the time to enjoy the now.

Jennifer Payne said...

I know! I emailed you back! I hope you got it, if not I can re-send it. When am I going to get to see you again?? I miss you too and want to see those handsome boys of yours. Sadie and Connor would be in heaven to get to play with them. Remember how much fun Sadie and McKay had?