Thursday, November 6, 2008

Just A Few Things...


So, a couple weeks ago for family night we taught McKay about the Golden Rule of life... He does pretty good at it and works pretty hard at it too... especially with Carter. Well, I put Carter in time out on the front couch a couple days ago... it was a little bit of a rough day for him - he was a repeat offender!!! - and every time I would walk by he would just glare at me... So, I decided I was going to get the camera - So, as I was sitting across from him on the opposite couch taking pictures of him glaring at me- McKay came in and asked what I was doing... He could see that it wasn't making Carter happy and said "Mom I don't know what is going on right now, but you're not setting a very good example to us of the golden rule - you're obviously not thinking about Carter right now......... I mean seriously what do you even say to that... other than you're 5 and you're right and I'm 30 and I'm wrong.... I did however manage to get a couple good pictures of Carter before his brother came and saved him from his Mother!!!
So, I have been feeling a little guilty about a few other things too... So, with McKay I made ALL of his baby stuff - Blankets, burp cloths - you name it!!! My Mom Made his bedding custom for me just the way I wanted it.... With Carter I made a couple blankets and a few cute burp cloths and had my Mom make his bedding too........................... But, with this baby I have bought everything!!! I ordered his bedding from Pottery Barn and bought all of his burp cloths at a boutique a couple weeks ago.... So, I told myself that I had to at least make him a couple blankets - So, I went to the cutest quilt shop on Monday and looked all over for some yummy fabric - only to find the cutest fabric that was already pieced together - So, then I was feeling really guilty that I wouldn't even need to piece it...................................................... then, as i was finding some super soft fabric to go on the back of it the the lady asked me how I was going to quilt it... I told her I thought that I would just quilt a few stars in some of the blocks to keep it together... She informed me that the fabric I had picked for the back was wonderful for babies, but extremely difficult to work with and maybe I should have their quilter do it.... I told her I was already feeling guilty enough that this was my third child and I felt like he was getting the shaft!!! But, I didn't want to be rude so I asked her about the pricing................................ $28 to have two baby blankets completely quilted!!! I almost choked because I thought it was such a good deal! So, I walked out of that cute little quilt shop with two blankets for baby completely put together other than the binding.... and feeling extremely guilty that I haven't done for him what I did for the other two...
Then, My friend Lacey told me about Walmarts ship to store program... You can go on their website and make an order and they will ship it to their store that is closest to you for free.... So, I went on their site and found more than half of what I was planning on getting my boys for Christmas (Carter is completely done - I just need a couple more things for McKay that entail James)! They will email me in a couple days when it delivers and i just have to go and pick it up!!! No crowds, no waiting in line, no finding a babysitter so I can go shopping and run all over looking for it - Done as easy as that!!! But, still feeling a little guilty of the ease!
So, this week we introduced putting the laundry away into McKay's chore book... I had this huge basket of the boys clothes that needed to get put away. I thought that I was going to have to show him step by step how to do it and kept putting it off... So, I called him into his room and told him what was going on and then I had to leave for a minute to help Carter with something - When I cam back he had it all completely done... Everything was in the right drawers and the clothes were on hangers that needed to be - he even had his clothes separated form Carters that needed to be hung up. All I had to do was put the hangers on the rod!!! I was so proud of him!!! I have to admit that I am a bit of a perfectionist - I have a way that I want things done and it's hard from me to let that go. I have decided that I create more work for myself though by not letting others do things - and probably underestimating McKay and what he can do. I probably expect way too much out of myself - My baby will come to this family and be loved to all ends with or without a homemade blanket!!! My kids will have a fabulous Christmas whether I went to 5 stores to get things or order it all from one and had it delivered!!! Life is good and that is all that truly matters!

1 comment:

Angie said...

My oh my! You have been busy! Loved catching up on all your posts. Carter looks like he is such a delight to have :) Thanks for the card and take care.