Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A Little Yumminess...


I made this Pumpkin Spice Cake last weekend and it was so good that I thought I would share the recipe:


Pumpkin Spice Cake

3/4 Cup unsalted butter, softened
1 Cup firmly packed dark-brown sugar (I used regular)
1 Cup Sugar
3 Large eggs
1/2 Cup Buttermilk
1 Cup canned or fresh pumpkin (I used canned)
1 tsp. Vanilla extract
2 Cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg

Heat oven to 350. Butter and flour 2 bread pans; set aside. Beat the butter in a large bowl, using a mixer set on medium speed, until fluffy. Beat in the sugars and eggs, one at a time, until smooth. Set aside. Combine buttermilk, pumpkin, and vanilla and set aside. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg and stir into batter, in thirds, alternating with buttermilk mixture- until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake until cakes test clean- about 25 minutes. Cool on wire racks.


Honey & Spice Buttercream Frosting

1 tsp. unflavored gelatin

1/2 Cup dark honey ( I used this, but think that I might use regular next time - it has a funny taste to me)

1/2 Cup sugar

1 tsp. Salt

2 tsp. ground cinnamon

3 1/2 sticks butter, room temp.

1 tsp. Vanilla extract

Combine the gelatin and 2 tablespoons water and let sit for 10 minutes. Bring the honey, sugar, and 2 tablespoons water to a boil in a small sauce pan, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for 3 minutes. Stir 2 tablespoons of honey mixture into the gelatin until dissolved. Whisk into the remaining honey syrup along with salt and cinnamon. Strain into a medium size bowl and beat, using a mixer set on high speed, until doubled in volume and completely cool - about 10 minutes. Add the butter 2 tablespoons at a time, while continuously beating. Stir in the vanilla and use immediately or keep chilled.

I took pictures of the boys helping me make the cake... But, when I was deleting pictures from my camera that were old I accidently deleted them... Argh... Look at the cute cake plate that my Mom sent me... It's a spider web with little spiders hanging down from the edges!!! Thanks Mom I love it!

No comments: