Sunday, December 7, 2008

In Search Of Christmas Spirit...

So, I am lacking some serious Christmas Spirit this year... usually I have the house all decked out by now and if I truly had to admit it... I still have a couple Halloween decorations lurking around! My Niece was here Friday night and told me my house was lacking major Christmas Spirit and even offered to come and help me set everything up!!! But, the thought of setting everything up to just take it all down days before I have a baby is a little draining... I usually DECK the house out!!! - I LOVE Christmas decorations... But, this year I have decided to keep it simple. We are going to go and get our tree tomorrow night and stop at the craft store - I have decided that I am going to let the kids make all of the ornaments for the tree this year... You have to understand that this is a big step for me... I'm usually the perfectionist that has to have everything look PERFECT! But, this year we are trying something new!!! So, over the next week we are going to make the ornaments and decorate the tree a little each day!


Every year James and I have always been on the hunt to out do each other on Christmas Day with our gift to each other... I listen to his hints all year long and usually have it taken care of by December and he stresses out all December trying to come up with something!!! But, this year we have decided to totally change it... We had a lady in our ward tell us this is what they do with their family - instead of buying them a gift they give them a gift from themselves... last year her son gave her a dozen car details that she can cash in whenever she wants. So, you give them a gift of service or time - a true gift from you. So, this year we decided to try it out - my mind has been racing to come up with something really special to give him. We decided that it has to be outside of what we are already responsible for - so, he can't give me car washes and I can't give him clean laundry! You have to give something that would totally benefit the other with your time, service and compassion! I think I am more excited this year than I have been any other year to see what he comes up with! It takes a lot more thought then just going to the store and picking something out!


Yesterday morning James and McKay were getting ready to head out skiing when he came to me and said: "Mom, how do I tell Dad that I don't like skiing..." So, I sat down with him and asked him why he didn't like skiing? His answer was simple - "I don't like ski school, I want my Dad to teach me how to ski". It melted my heart! So, I went out in the kitchen and told James what McKay had said. The last time James had picked him up from ski school McKay had been in tears... So, James decided that he would spend yesterday just the two of them and see how it went. They hit the bunny hill a couple times and James was tired of waiting in line there and decided that if they were going to go for it they were going to go for it and took McKay to the top of Majestic (the adult hill)... At first James was going slow with McKay to make sure he was o.k. and then McKay asked James if he had to keep going slow or if he could go fast... James told him he could go fast as long as he didn't hit anyone! James said that he just took off and flew down the hill. James said that he was so happy and so excited that you could see him smiling under his face gator! James was so excited for him and was saying "McKay you are... you are... you are..."
and McKay finished it for him and said "say the bomb Dad"! As soon as they got to the bottom McKay was right in line to go back up and cried when it was time to come home for the day! When McKay got home he told me it was the best day ever! James admitted that it was truly one of the best days they had ever spent together!


We head back to Idaho again this week for a doctors appt. But, my Mom is coming back with us to spend 5 days!!! I don't know who's more excited me or the kids!!! I have a couple projects I need her help on and maybe she can help me get those Christmas decorations out!!! I hope you have a good week!

3 comments:

Kimberly Davis said...

I love the gift idea...I'll trade my annual slippers in anyday for a week full of dishes!!!

James is such a Great Dad!

Kimberly Davis said...

Erin..I need your address for our christmas cards!!!

mstokes said...

Erin, I also need you adress & your email so that I can add you to my blog list & so that I can send you a Christmas Card. Good luck with your baby #3. I sked your parents why you never put any picutres of you on your blog, I want to see cute pregnant Erin!
Merry Christmas!