Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The First Step...

The first step on the road to recovery is to admit that you have a problem. I have a problem. I am becoming my Father.... (It is ok to laugh right now - I laugh about it!). When I was growing up my Dad would always come home and say "Moalee, Albertson's has chicken on sale." Or "Moalee, Smith's is having a case lot sale." Or "Moalee, Albertson's has their turkey breasts on sale." I think you get the point!

Well, here is my confession... I am totally addicted to the weekly sales ads from the grocery stores! I LOVE Tuesday's because they come in the mail on Tuesday's! McKay always gets our mail & is heart broken if I get it. So, on Tuesday's I sneak out and get the ad's and leave whatever else there is for him to get! I Know, I know I am sounding a little crazy right now! But, it only gets worse! I surf the ad's and then I call my Dad to ask him if they are good buys!!! Only on the meat... he doesn't quite care about the mayonnaise sale! My problem is that when spiral ham's go on sale I can't just buy one or two... no, I had to buy six! Yes, you read that right! I have 6 ham's in my freezer right now! Or, when 25 lb boxes of frozen chicken breasts go on sale I have to buy two!!! Do you know how much chicken 50 lbs of chicken is!!! I almost died when I called James at work & said "James, Macey's has their chicken on sale... will you stop and pick it up on your way home - I don't want them to sell out"!  I am my Father!!! Or how about this - Lee's was having a sale on their Tri-Tip roasts & those just happen to be our favorite roasts! But, you could only buy 2 per customer. The sale went every Saturday for a month... I went every Saturday for a month & even made James go on a couple of the Saturday's to! I told you it was going to get worse! Whew, it feels good to get this out! I just feel very vulnerable if my freezer's are not stocked! And I have a really hard time paying $15 for a roast when I can get the same exact one for $8 a piece on sale!

So, my kid's LOVE Stephen's Candy Cane hot chocolate! And I always stock up on it at Sam's Club during the Holiday's. But, I was at Walmart the other night and their individual packets that are normally over .50 cents a piece were on clearance for .11 cents. James was out in the car & I called him & asked him how many I should buy... he told me to buy everyone that they had left! I'm rubbing off on him! I just needed someone to give me a little support for putting 150 of them in my cart!!! McKay's eyes were popping out as I just continued to throw handful after handful in the cart! People were starting to stare! And it hit me in that moment that I am soooo my Father & I don't even care!!! But, now I need to figure out where to put all of this hot chocolate!

4 comments:

mstokes said...

Mirror Mirror on the wall - We are our parents after all!

Angie said...

WOW! I am speechless. Way to save!?

Stacey said...

I would love to see the grocery store in your basement!!

Moalee said...

I printed this page off so your Dad could read it (says he's not into blogs). He says your a good writer (like him too). But that he was older than you when he started and has older children to eat all that food!