Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Can You Imagine...

I know that we have all had our share of heart ache... we all have our own personal struggles. Some more public than others. It has never been a secret of the heartache that I have gone through to have children. Or the heartache and utter panic my family felt when we heard of Travis's accident... We all have our moments... when our worlds are rocked. Sometimes it is something little that builds or sometimes it is something life shattering. I am a firm believer that our life is shaped by how we react in those moments... in the faith that we have that the Lord knows us better than we know ourselves. It takes a great deal of faith to turn in over to the Lord and place it in his hands & have faith in the outcome. In the thick of it it is hard to see past the moment...

I have been sick the last week and have spent a good portion of time in bed. I will admit that I am a huge fan of a good sleep in every now and then! I am known to bribe James with all kinds of things to be able to sleep past 7:00 a.m. on a Saturday morning! He and the boys are early risers... I have no choice but to be! But, 10 days sick in bed is a little much even for me. I spent a good portion of my days surfing blogs and trying to not go insane! Somewhere along the way I found the blog Life In Grace and literally spent hours reading her blog. Edie is a mother of four who gave up her profession as a family practice doctor to stay home and home school her children. I admire her outlook on life and have to say that I think that her home is dreamy! However, a couple days before Christmas last year her beautiful home burned to the ground in the middle of the night... her family miraculously made it out a live... here is her account of that night:
I will tell you that her faith humbles me. I learned a long time ago to not feel sorry for myself. It wastes too much energy & I am entirely to blessed in life.

James & I had to find a quick rental when we were moving here to Sandy. We literally rented our house over the phone... something I will never do again! I have been vocal about how much I don't like this house... the paint on the walls drive me crazy, the carpet is dated, the fact that if you are in the shower you cannot flush a toilet drives me insane! There is no storage & the layout of the kitchen is terrible... not to mention the terrible lighting in every room...  I could go on. They are all trivial things. But, suddenly after spending a day reading her blog I was grateful for my home. Grateful to have my precious photo albums, outfits that I brought my babies home from the hospital in, my recipe books... I know that they are all worldly possessions... but, she lost it all. Can you imagine? I am grateful for the gentle reminders that the Lord gives me of how blessed my life is. I am grateful that people like Edie will share their experiences so that we can grow from their trials & strength.

No comments: