Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Lemon Sugar Hand Scrub



I saw this recipe & loved the idea of it! It is a yummy lemon sugar hand scrub. I set away at making batches of it! It works perfect for a teacher gift, a little something for Marilyn the bus driver, visiting teaching... & it is soooooo easy! Plus, I found these really cute jars at the Dollar Store! You seriously have to love that place! So, here is the simple recipe:

2 1/2 Cups Sugar
1 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 TBS lemon juice
Scented Essential Oils

So, the recipe that I got said that the essential oil was optional. But, I didn't think that the lemon juice covered the smell of the oil well enough... So, I went to Michael's and for about $2.50 you can buy a bottle of essential oil. So, then I would just start with 2-3 TBS of lemon juice and add the essential oil until I got the strength of the aroma that I wanted. If I needed a little more liquid I added a little more lemon juice. I have tried citrus, honey bun and peppermint scents & I think that peppermint is my favorite. On one batch I accidentally used plain olive oil instead of Extra Virgin Olive Oil and there was a difference - I would definitely use the Extra Virgin. You do need to stir it every now and then after it has set for a few days.

I put cute ribbons around them and tied on cute little antique spoons that I got at the good ol' DI! But, I gave them all away before I got a picture... The person who uses it the most at our house is James! He loves it & has his own bottle of it setting by his sink! Enjoy!

1 comment:

Rachel S. Smith said...

I love the idea! It looks so fragrant!