Friday, March 5, 2010

Self Imposed Reality Check!

Sooooooo, as I was laying in bed last night replaying my day in my mind and having somewhat of a pity party... I reached for my scriptures - to be honest I was feeling as if it was just one more thing I had to do before I could go to sleep.... when a picture slid out onto my stomach... not just any picture - a really special picture of Travis and I together last summer in the hospital - it took my breath away. I had put it in my scriptures for a couple different reasons: 1. so I would always remember where it was - special picture= special place 2. to always serve as a reminder of how lucky and blessed we are. Suddenly, my day just melted away and i made myself think of the good things that had happened that day. Here they are:

1. McKay was sooo excited because it was Dr. Seuss's Birthday and he got to dress up as a story character for school! He chose Davy Crockett & was beaming as he left the house to go to school.
2. Even though Cannon wouldn't take a nap... and was grouchy & screamed at me most of the day... he melts my heart. When I get out of sight for what he feels is too long he starts calling for me and follows my voice to find me - then he gives me loves - wiggles out of my arms and crawls away - until he comes to find me again in a few minutes!
3. It was a beautiful day when McKay got home from school. So, I sent the boys outside with their boots and snow clothes on and they played for 2 hours. We don't have any houses behind us - and we are set up right against the hills and mountains. I LOVED watching them out the windows as they would venture all over the hills. Many times watching McKay as he so patiently helped Carter climb a rock or mound of dirt. I am so grateful that they truly are the best of friends.
4. McKay was learning about the presidents at school last month. So, he in turn was teaching Carter all about Abraham Lincoln... Carter will then tell me everything that McKay teaches him! Today I kept pretending like I had forgotten Abraham Lincoln's name only because I absolutely LOVE hearing Carter pronounce it "Mabramham Wincoln"! It makes me smile every time he says it!
5. I love that I live close to my Cousin Melissa - and that She and Easton & Macey stopped by today! What a blessing it is to me to have family close!
6. McKay has been working hard to earn his $12 to pay for his pants. We have been doing chores each day - today he got to clean the bathrooms (with help from his mother of course!). But, as we were working together he talked and talked and talked.... I am grateful that he likes to talk to me and tell me everything about his day.

7. McKay had a party at his school tonight for Dr. Seuss's Birthday... He really wanted to go - but, I really didn't want to take Cannon... too many germs. So, James loaded up McKay and Carter and took them to the party by himself! I am grateful that I am married to the kind of man who would do that!

8. I am grateful for my picture. I am grateful for all it symbolizes. I am grateful for all that Travis has taught me. Because as I looked at that picture I really didn't care much about the dinner that didn't turn out or the jeans! Because all of that really doesn't matter and he has taught me that!

Today is a new day! And I am the one who controls whether or not it will be a good day or a bad day. I am grateful for the life that I am blessed with! Today I took McKay to the bus stop. He usually likes to get there early so that he can be first in line! He wants to sit by that cute girl! But, today he didn't get out of the car. When I asked him if he was ok he said "I rather stay in the car with you Mom - I'll get out when the bus comes"! Melt my heart! And today he was the last child on the bus! I put Cannon down for his morning nap at 9:00 a.m. after he went down Rebecca called, and then my Grandma - and then I got to have a really nice visit with Carson as he was driving to Victor. Grateful for family and good friends that are always there. What a good day it truly is!

2 comments:

Moalee said...

We are lucky and we do have good family and frineds. Life is good and we are blessed! I love you.
Mom

mstokes said...

I'm glad to know that you want to hide in the closet sometimes too! The ones that sometimes wear us dwon re the ones that pick us right back up by the adorable little things that they do. Our kids. Aren't they precious. PS - Carter's sword is currently on the top of the fridge - becasue I got whacked in the back of the legs with it! That thing is hard!