Thursday, June 16, 2011

A Story I Never Want To Forget...


McKay and Carter got home Monday from spending a week in Idaho with Grandma & Grandpa. They were truly spoiled in every possible way! They got to spend a lot of time with their cousins & have sleep overs, go swimming, go to movies, spend a day with the Beattie's, go on special dates with Grandma & Grandpa, go out to dinner, go camping.... Like I said... They were spoiled!

They spent the weekend camping up at Palisades. My Dad's friend owns Palisades Park & they were up there helping him get flowers planted & projects done for the summer. My Dad provided the boys with endless willows to carve which gave McKay an idea...

We have a friend who is here at Shriners Hospital. I have mentioned him before. Ned, is a young boy who has scoliosis & had surgery on his back yesterday to try and straighten his spine. It was a very intense surgery as you can imagine and lasted 11 hours. McKay, loves Ned. McKay worries about Ned & tries to do anything he can to make him happy.

So, back to McKay's idea... He decided to carve willow sticks and take them around to all the other campers and try to sell them. He was selling them for .25 - $1 a piece depending on the size. He told each camper about Ned & that he was trying to earn money to buy Ned something really special for after his surgery. Seriously, how can you turn a little boy away that has that sales pitch!!! McKay ended up earning $7.75. Later that afternoon he asked my Mom for some paper and a pen. He then proceeded to write each one of the campers a thank you note for buying his willows & hand delivered each one! (Yes, this is where the proud mother tears enter!)

When I met my Mom in Malad to pick up the boys the first thing McKay did was give me the money for Ned. It truly touched me so much! He has something that he is really wanting right now & instead of keeping the money to go towards that he wanted it to go to Ned. He realized that $7.75 wasn't enough to buy much... But, I assured him that it would be enough to buy him whatever he wanted to!

I am so honored to have this little man as my son. He has always had the most compassionate little soul & never ceases to amaze me. I love you McKay!

2 comments:

Heidi Burri said...

I am not even his mom and I had the mommy tears reading that. What a sweet little boy. Can't wait to get to know him better in cubs.

Moalee said...

We had a good and fun visit...thanks for sharing the boys. Good memories. I love you.